Tuesday 11 August 2020

A finish (YAY!!!!), a doggy update and some reminiscing

Hello Stitching Friends!

I've been meaning to write this blog post for a couple of days now, but I've been soo tired and my brain just hasn't functioned properly. I think it's all the drama involving my dogs that has worn me out, or maybe it's a reaction to all the weird stuff that has been happening this year..?! Anyway, I'm going to try to stay awake long enough to update you on life here in my X-stitch nook😉.

So my furbaby had his dental surgery on Friday and he seems to recover nicely so far🙏.


I'm so relieved! However, he has to eat only soft things for two weeks and I think he and his 'brother' miss their daily afternoon chewy treat. Every day after their afternoon walk they both sit staring at me, wondering if I haven't forgotten anything??!!😂 Next weekend couldn't come fast enough as far as they're concerned😉!
-
A lot of sad things happened during my 3-year long break from cross stitch. For one thing, about a year ago we found out that my dad has alzheimer😢. Thankfully the disease is progressing slowly and so far he's able to live a good life at home, but we are all aware that things will only get worse😢. He's just had his 72nd birthday and even though I couldn't see him in person that day, he will visit us soon when my niece celebrates her 18th birthday at the end of the month. 
My plan was to stitch a couple of lighthouse designs for him for Xmas (he LOVES the ocean and boats), but since I've really enjoyed stitching the lighthouse pictures lately, I wanted to see if I could finish one of them early for him and give it to him as a birthday present. I don't have all the correct thread colours, but I searched my stash and tried to come up with other colour options. So here it is...

Design by Cheryl McKinnon from
Cross Stitch Crazy magazine June 2020.

...all finished! The perfectionist in me isn't entirely happy, but if one hasn't seen the original I don't think it looks too bad. I'd like to stitch it again for myself with the correct colours, and but for now I'm happy to frame this and give it to my dad as his belated birthday gift. I'm still planning to stitch another one of the four lighthouse designs for him for Xmas, but hopefully with the correct colours.

Otherwise I haven't made too much of a progress on my projects. I have spent a few hours on Christmas Town by Emma Congdon and it progressed from this...

 ...to this:


When my brain has been too tired for cross stitch, I've been knitting  THIS CARDIGAN ...


...and I'm almost ready to start knitting the sleeves.

Finally, I thought you'd enjoy a few pics of cross stitched stuff from my mum's place. She helped me with the recent vet visits and when I'm in her home I'm always struck by all the crafty things on display. As you may already know, I come from a very crafty family, which you can read more about in THIS  POST , and mum has stitched so many lovely pieces throughout the years. For example she has stitched these three animal pictures...




But she also enjoys receiving handmade things and of course I've given her plenty of hand crafted stuff. I know I stitched this cushion for exemple - even though I can't exactly remember stitching it.


But above all I gave her this cross stitched picture which is the biggest piece I've ever stitched so far.

Design from Cross Stitch Gold magazine.

My original plan at the time was to give it to her when she turned 60, but that year I got a bad case of pneumonia so I ended up finishing the picture 6 months too late and gave it to her for Mother's Day the next year instead. I must say that I'm quite proud of this project, and it's nice to know that it resides with someone who appreciates the art of cross stitch😁!

Now I'm going to watch some ice hockey and pick up the knitting again, and I wish you all a nice, crafty week ahead💝!

AND I made it through the whole post without falling asleep😂😂😂!!

Annie

9 comments:

  1. I am so glad your little beagle is doing well.
    The lighthouse for your father is wonderful.
    Those three stitched pieces by your Mom are beautiful! I love the ones you created for her also. Such treasures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you <3 I'm sure your prayers helped. He's doing fine but still needs to stay away from chews for a few days more...
      I do love to give away stitched pieces when I know that they will be appreciated <3. Hope you're ok!

      Delete
  2. Your Dad's lighthouse turned out beautiful! I can't remember what the original looked like but I think yours looks perfect :) Glad your pup is doing well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I wasn't at all sure about the replacement colours, but in the end it came together ok...:D

      Delete
  3. Dogs sure don't understand diets or needs to wait do they? Beautiful stitching both your mum's pieces and yours. I just LOVE the seal piece. I love seals. My mother loves all things nautical so the lighthouse piece is beautiful and so something she would ask me to stitch. I hope you can rest and feel better very soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Katie <3. I'm still feeling quite tired, but I'm beginning to suspect that it's the menopause messing me up...

      Delete
  4. I think the lighthouse looks great and I am sure your Dad will love it! Both you and your Mom have stitched some beautiful pieces.

    Glad to hear that the puppy is recovering and on his way to treats again! I think that is the highlight of their day and they know just when to expect them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! Just a few days now before they can have their favorite treats. Not sure who's most excited about that...them or me, haha!

      Delete
  5. Oh, I love a good trip down memory lane! Your mum's pieces are so different to usual animal designs, and your garden is so sweet. I especially like the way the edges are feathered rather than having been finished off a straight lines. And congratulations on your finish, of course! :)

    ReplyDelete

Reading your lovely comments truly makes my day, so thank you!